Sunday, October 02, 2016

Whaling

While in Brisbane, my brother- and sister-in-law took us (that Spouse o' Mine and me) down the coast, parts south of Brisbane.  Specifically, to Byron Bay, and Tweeds Head.  Someone brought up the subject of whales.  I commented, "Oh, I have never seen a whale; I would LOVE to see one."

AND GUESS WHAT?

WHALES!!!  Lots and lots of whales playing!  Breaching! Playing with their babies!

Humpback whales migrate this time of year from northern Australia, down the coast and on to Antarctica.  (Think: it is springtime in Australia.  The whales head south to cooler climes, and birth their babies somewhere along the way.)

Lookie here, folks:







It's interesting that all the whales I photographed seemed to breach to the south (right, in these photos).  I surmise that they were headed south, so they were jumping out of the water south?

I am SUCH an expert on all things marine.

What fun, what fun it was!  I could have spent DAYS whale watching along the beaches.  As it was, I did spend hours and hours.  What fun.

1 comment:

Melissa G said...

How awesome that you got to see whales!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...