Thursday, January 19, 2012

Winter Wear

Brrr - it was cold today! This evening before sundown I went out to feed animals. The UPS truck pulled up in our drive, and so Biserka and I went to the gate to meet him. Biserka always sounds ferocious and behaves much like her name when she hears the UPS and Fed Ex trucks heading down our road. True to form, she ran and barked and growled, and then stopped as soon as the UPS man threw her a dog biscuit over the fence. These UPS drivers know what they're doing.

Then the driver said hello to me, and I noticed he was noticing my attire. Mind you, it was 22ยบ out and the sun was setting. I had on my sherpa hat and my Stay-Puff snowmobile suit. This snowsuit has seen many years of winter mornings and evenings, feeding animals, moving hay bales, getting caught on nails in the barn, barbs in the wire, and so on. The white insulation fluff from the inside of the suit was sticking out here and there, all over the suit. Last year I purchased a new snowsuit, but it just was not as warm as this Stay-Puff thing. So one day I laid the old snowsuit out flat on the floor, and began mending the rips and holes with - you guessed it - duct tape. I have duct tape wrapped all around one pantleg of the suit, from the thigh clear down to the calf. And this wasn't just your run-of-the-mill silver duct tape (which would have been preferable, given that the suit is silver), because Santa only delivers COLORFUL duct tape in our stockings. So my snowsuit leg is wrapped in white and teal. Very nice.

It didn't occur to me until this evening that I might look like a hillbilly derelict out in the winter yard. But a WARM hillbilly, at least.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

You know, I saw you wearing your old Stay Puff, even though I knew you had a newer one, but I did not bother to ask why... now I know.

Amy said...

Hilarious! We always get duct tape in our stocking too. I never thought to use it to mend clothes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...