Friday, January 27, 2012

Neighborhoods

The prologue is this: I did my undergrad at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, Oklahoma. As did my parents, and my Grandma Ruth and quite a few of her 13 siblings, before my parents. There was a household of Aussie students living just down the road from me one summer, and that's where I met him: that Spouse o' Mine. But this entry is not about him, or us (that comes next week on our wedding anniversary!). It's about our life in Stillwater.

After he & I finished our respective degrees and moved away from OSU, we eventually married. We moved to Egypt, then Michigan. And then, the chickens (we) came home to roost: back to Oklahoma State University! I could not have been happier. With our three young kids in tow, and a large dog, we purchased a house in a neighborhood right by the university campus. A better neighborhood one will never find. We loved our house, we loved our neighbors.

THE OLD NEIGHBORHOOD

They want to know my business in the old neighborhood.
They give advice about the things I shouldn't do--or should.
But all the while I sort of feel they mean it for my good.
And I can't get angry, somehow, at the old neighborhood!

They borrow--how they borrow! in the old neighborhood!
But when it comes to lending, they are, oh, so kind and good!
And they'll do a favor quicker than most anybody would--
For they feel an interest in me--in the old neighborhood!

There's a little world of sweetness in the old neighborhood.
And I wouldn't move away from it--no matter if I could.
Bless their hearts! I say sincerely. Bless their hearts with every good!
For with all my heart I'm grateful for the old neighborhood!

by Winnifred J. Mott, 1935

I do miss our old neighborhood.
I am so happy that we could give our kids the experience
of a neighborhood when they were young.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

And thank you for giving us yards and pastures in which to play!

Amy said...

So which is better a neighborhood or country living? I struggle with this thought as Tim and I begin to think about our next move. Do we move out and get some land? The way we both grew up. Or do we go with a neighborhood? Something I always thought would have been nice growing up. There are pluses and minuses to both. Does one out weigh the other? Oh wise Tricia, what to do? And don't say just go to the clinic and dismiss my cry for help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...