Sunday, September 06, 2009

Shine On...

It was a full moon this weekend. Did you notice it? I was in the Rocky Mountains, and, yes, I woke up each night building up to the full moon. I don't know why... maybe my inner being felt the pull of the ocean's tides, or maybe my eyes opened a teeny slit and thought it was near dawn. Whatever the reason, that old full moon hanging above the mountains was a delight to my imagination! It set over the mountains about an hour before sunrise tipped the summits. (You may accurately note: I was sleep-deprived last week. But I sure enjoyed nature!)

This painting (above) is one of my
very very favorite paintings in the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City: January Full Moon, by George Copeland Ault. Daughter Gill & I did a museum crawl today, and I once again enjoyed viewing this painting. This blog cannot translate the wonderful image that this painting is! If any of you have experienced a snowy earth at full moon, then perhaps you can imagine the vision. That Mr. Ault captured it with oil on canvas is amazing - most people nowadays would resort to digital Photoshopping.

I love the cold, snowy nights when we can go out and the moon is so bright on the snow, we can see distinct shadows! Tonight, as That Spouse o' Mine and I headed back from Kansas City, we saw the waning moon in our back mirror: still quite big and bright on the horizon.

Next week will bring dark nights; this is ok - then I can go out in the night, sit and listen to the local owls, and learn more constellations other than the Dippers and Orion's Belt.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Telescope time!

twebsterarmstrong said...

And I was going to borrow the one at Breck! I forgot to take it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...