Friday, June 11, 2010

Science!!!

Tonight is a new moon: no light. So! If you are a star-gazer, then this is the night. (Or if you are like me and often awake at 4:00 am, then tomorrow is your morning.) Go out and gaze. Some early mornings I sneak out and tilt my head upwards, identifying those constellations I learned many a year ago. I search out satellites. (You know, this is really something - 40 years ago no one would have said "I search out satellites.") Of course I am always on the lookout for falling stars. Why are those so exciting?!

The big news this year is the research being done on Titan - one of Saturn's moons. Saturn has 22 moons. Titan is the 2nd-largest-known moon in our solar system. (Planets rotate around the sun, moons rotate around planets, for those of you who have "delete-file" that part of your HS Biology facts.) Lots of research is being done on Titan, and much of it is very interesting. I leave it up to you to read up on it all. Sorry, no links today.

Some scientists are looking at Titan, some are at task with small particle physics, some are measuring sea ice, and others, fast-growing cells (i.e., cancer).

How fascinating. And reassuring. There are lots and lots of people studying all sorts of things that I myself cannot manage in my oh-so-busy 50-year-old lifestyle.

Thank you, scientists.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...