Saturday, April 10, 2010

Auroras!

I received this email bright and early this morning:

“There was a small solar event on April 8, 2010. The effects of this event should reach Earth sometime late on the 10th or early on the 11th of April. This means auroral activity early Sunday morning in Europe, and late Saturday night in the U.S. If not then, Sunday night should be active. There is some disagreement on when the shock should arrive. We try to be early rather than late, so keep watching…”

The email was from Dr. Charles Deehr, Professor Emer. Phys., at the Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska at Fairbanks. No, I do not know Dr. Deehr personally. I am merely on an email list-serve so that I can keep abreast of our aurora borealis activity: The Northern Lights.

I doubt that I will ever see the Northern Lights here in rural Kansas, because we are so far south. But…one never knows.  Once in my flight attending days we were flying as far north as Iceland and I DID get to see the Aurora Borealis! The Northern Lights! The colors ranged in greens and aquas and blues, and the lights danced up the night sky, and then slid down…and then UP! And back down. They were quite bright.

This is not my picture, but it looks similar to what I saw that night:


 In other solar news, this solar plexis of mine is experiencing an event of its own, and the day is not even HALF over.  It is banana-planting day! Maybe the first of several, since this involves hauling these GIANT trees out of the house, digging holes, watering holes, and re-planting the trees. I just mentioned to that Spouse o’ Mine that this really is manual labor. And he is on his own manual labor agenda this morning, digging rocks out of the soil. I am not sure who has the better job, but both will provide a nice landscape in the end.

Back to the grotto.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...