Wednesday, September 03, 2014

To My Kids and a Reminder for All:

I had forgotten about a man I knew years ago, until I read this link (below).  I never knew his name, never asked his name.  I still recall his filthy blonde hair, bloodshot eyes, and sunburned skin, and rags-for-clothes.  He had no sign, no adorable dog beside him.  He sat outside a grocery store in LA.  He was a Vietnam Vet.  He would ask for quarters.
 
This was way back when I worked for TWA - early 1990s.  On occasion from my international flights I would take a month of weekly flights, JFK to LA.  I would do my grocery shopping in LA (at this time I had two toddlers).  Almonds come to mind as a delicacy I would not find in wintertime Michigan. The grocery store was only a walk away from our "TWA" hotel by the airport.  I would arrive back home at Detroit Int'l Airport with a black F/A bag and several brown paper grocery bags, full of fun groceries for the week back home.  I did not fit the F/A stereotype t all. 
 
When I went grocery shopping, I would grab a small something for the man outside - a bottle of milk or juice, a banana, or some sort of bread.  I knew he wanted quarters for either drug or drink.  I rarely gave him one, but every once in a while.  He was kind in his own way. Each time I approached him on my way into the store, I talked to him.  Small talk.  And on my way out of the store, too.  Small talk.
 
I hope I made a difference. 
 

Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.  ~ Mother Teresa

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...