Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Autumn Bottom

This evening I picked around 50 red tomatoes in the Darwinian Garden.  And tonight's helping of collard greens.  Last night's green was kale; it's been an every-other-night affair w/ our garden greens, and we have been LOVING it!  (I tell people: think of kale and collard greens as the bottle brushes of your innards.)

This whole week I have been venturing out every-other-evening and picking ~ 72 red tomatoes.  (I know this, because my African woven basket holds ~ 72 large tomatoes.)  I have been freezing most of them whole, but today I made some more tomato sauce for winter's whatever.  I called a few neighbors to share our wealth.  One tried to barter OFF her peppers, but I declined.  We still have oodles of peppers, and I have made a mental note:  Garden 2013: ONE zucchini, and TWO pepper plants.  I eat about two fresh tomatoes every afternoon, because, let me tell you, there is nothing better than a garden-fresh tomato, minutes from the vine and still warm from the sun.  One of our neighbors was down the other day, and I handed her one, and she rightly bit into it just like an apple.  These garden treats are what I miss in the coming dark months! 

Today's high was mid-80s.  Such an anomaly for a Kansan October.  Yet: in two days, the low is forecast to be 26º.   Now, that's more like it!  Note to self: Must groom the XC Ski Pasture this week...

Our church is having an Autumnal Potluck this weekend.  I am planning to take fresh (red) tomatoes and mozzarella slices, and a green tomato/feta salad I discovered this summer, which, believe it or not, it is quite yummy.  

Wabaunsee Book Club is tomorrow night.  I have not attended in eleven months.  I was the person who instigated this rural book club ten years ago, upon my arrival in this neighborhood.  I think I shall go tomorrow.  Probably half the members will have no clue who I am...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...