Thursday, November 18, 2010

Another Day Another Deer

I took another jaunt down the road(s) this afternoon: first, down to Stone Barn Road, and then I circled back and went down Antelope Creek Road. Interesting, that the surrounding rural roads have such descriptive names. What the heck were Kansans thinking, when they named all the highways "K"?! I live on K-18. We have K-99, K-24, K-75...

I would rather have a pretty address.

On my way down to Antelope Creek Road, I approached an open field and spied two deer grazing. I came closer and closer to them, and they didn't look up. I think the rule is to never startle a wild animal. The addendum to that is never startle a deer (or plural) during rutting season. I haven't consulted my rutting season calendar and so I do not know if the deer were hormonal or not. I also don't know what the rule is about bucks losing their antlers, so I didn't know what kind of deer I was approaching at a slow run. All I know is that two pretty deer were up ahead of me, and I didn't want to fall victim to a deer stampede. So I called out, "Hi deer!"

"Hi deer!...Hi deer!...Hi deer!..."

I Hi deered them six times before one of them looked up. And then the other. And they both went back to grazing. Maybe they were wondering what that middle-aged lady was doing, lurching down the road.

They sure were pretty.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...