Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tennis, Anyone?

The town where I grew up (Pryor Creek, Oklahoma) used to have annual tennis tournaments. My family, three generations of us and tennis enthusiasts all, used to partake in these tournaments with unbridled enthusiasm each year. I miss those hot summer days like I miss no other! (Because I miss no other hot summer days...)

My brother Mike, coming on court directly from church.
He took his play most seriously.


My niece, Amy Webster Van Duser, and me.
If I recall, Amy was in charge of our matching tennis outfits that year.
We, too, took our play most seriously.
No, no...that is not accurate; the opponents took THEIR play most seriously:
We got whupped. (But we looked GOOD.)

Daughter #2 in her finals. If I recall, she got whupped as well.
But she looked GOOD.



How my brother Bob caught my Dad in this photo I do not know.
And why my Dad is sitting in gravel, I do not know.
(And where any handicap seating is, we do not know...)
Just this month, my Dad played in a Seniors Tournament.
I won't say exactly how old my Dad is,
but it rhymes with Matey-Boo. Or Matey-Bee.
The 65-year-old beat him. Come on...

Even though we Armstrongs are cycling fanatics, we do love tennis and running as well. It was nice when the Grad Student got home for Fall Break today and remarked how sore she was from her tennis match yesterday.

I love it!

1 comment:

Claire Hilary said...

First off, yes, I got whooped by a little 12 year old.
Second off, the last picture made me laugh. G-pa sitting on the ground next to a handicapped sign.

G-pa is far from handicapped.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...